Science Tutor Responsibilities:
- Commit to 10 tutoring hours per week for the entire Spring 2019 semester in one of the following subjects: biology, physics, or chemistry. Since students may come to you in a variety of courses, we expect our tutors to be familiar with the following courses:
- For Biology Tutors: Intro Biology, General Biology (Animal Biology, Plant Biology, Molecular and Cellular Biology). Ideal candidates would also be able to tutor Anatomy and Physiology and Microbiology.
- For Chemistry Tutors: Intro Chemistry, General Chemistry. Ideal candidates would also be able to tutor Quantitative Analysis and Organic Chemistry.
- For Physics Tutors: Elementary Physics, Intro Physics, General Physics.
- For Computer Science Tutors: Intro Computer Science, Programming Language Concepts, Computer Organisation and Assembly Language, OOPS, Computer Architecture and Operating Systems.
- Commit to a schedule that takes place during SCAA’s drop-in science tutoring hours – 1:00 PM to 7:00 PM, Monday through Thursday
- Participate in an intensive orientation at the beginning of the Spring Semester and attend bi-weekly staff meetings and ongoing training activities throughout the year
- Conduct in-class outreach presentations to inform students about our services
- Develop resources (videos, handouts, workshops, etc.) according to CSUEB student needs
- Use talents to assist in SCAA’s development and operations in areas such as outreach, training, our eTutoring program, etc.
- Must be enrolled as a sophomore, junior, senior or grad student at CSUEB for the 18-18 academic year
- Must have availability for consistent working hours and regular meetings for a maximum of 20 hours a week
- A cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0
- A developing knowledge of tutoring approaches and an awareness of content resource materials
- An ability to interact effectively with diverse populations in individual or group settings
- A completed application (attached) with a brief recommendation by a professor (form provided in application).
Pay Rates and Other Perks:
- Tutors are paid $13.50 an hour, with the opportunity for raises with each academic year you are a science tutor
- Tutors are paid for all activities outlined in the “Science Tutor Responsibilities” section
- Tutors who complete all their training requirements will receive a College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA) Internationally Certified Level One Tutor credential
- Tutors become a part of the SCAA Learning Community, a group of passionate and fun peers, and are invited to several SCAA social activities. Tutors also develop professional skills transferrable to future careers, including communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills.